Caterham Valley’s History
A large puddingstone/block of conglomerate probably derived from local Blackheath Pebble Beds dating back 40 million years. It now sits in the grounds of Caterham School in Harestone Valley Road
The Roman Road
The route of the Roman Road from London to the Brighton area (c.50BC) is clearly visible at places such as the bank running beside the children’s playground in Tillingdown Hill
The Railway Station
The first station and the railway hotel were opened in 1856; the current building dates from 1900. The station is the terminus of a branch line from Purley, with services to Victoria and London Bridge.
Charles Asprey, the well-known London jeweller, donated the Fountain to the people of Caterham in 1890. It was Caterham’s first street light. It was moved to its current position in 1997.
The Rotary Clock
The clock is the newest addition to Caterham town centre, being installed by local rotary clubs as a gift to the people of Caterham to celebrate their centenary.
The hall was opened in 1912, in memory of William Garland Soper, leading local figure and first chairman of Caterham Urban District Council. www.soperhall.org.uk